Flight of the Screaming Baby...


We knew we were probably in trouble in Toronto waiting for our flight. Mom, dad and 2 kids, both dressed in lucky new year red. Both were out of control. Man, I hope we aren't close to those kids because I think they are going to be a nightmare.

You guessed it. 2 rows up directly in front of us. It only took a couple of hours before sounds of unbelievable volume began assaulting us; I mean this kid could have given Pavarotti a run for his money in the decibel department.

To add to the pleasure of the flight, I was sitting across the aisle from an old Chinese gentleman, who became known as 'Mr. Stink-Eye'. After we boarded and put our carry on bags in the overhead, Mr. Stink Eye shuffled down the aisle, looked up and sprouted off in Chinese; you didn't need to speak the language to get the gist; 'Whose bag is in 'my bin'? I mean he was mad. More griping. Sir, I said; that is my bag...more complaining, followed by a quiet intervention by the flight attendant who informed him that the bins weren't assigned but were first come first served. This didn't fly, so for the duration of the flight I got THE STINK EYE from my new found friend.

The assault alternated between Screaming Baby and Mr. Stink Eye, Screaming Baby Mr Stink Eye. At a certain point one has to go to his happy place, or risk creating an air rage incident, so I put on my headphones and watched movie after movie; Time Travelers Wife (lousy), GI Joe something or other (worse), Michael Jackson This is It (Pretty darn good, that would have been a hell of a show).

Fifteen and a half hours later we touched down in Hong Kong with parting screams and a final look that could kill. We passed the cameras that look for fever (quarantine for you my friend), but we were blithely unconcerned as we had our H1N1 shots confirmed on official stationary.

Several hours of wait time in HK followed by a blissfully quiet flight. Another few hours wait, then our last leg into Phnom Penh, where I now sit at our guest house sipping a margarita and enjoying the warmth. (Please excuse any typos it is definitely the long flight not the marg)

The "quiet" streets of Phnom Penh...

Chillin' and building strength for the days ahead...

Janne and her daughter with a gift from home...

We leave Sunday for our build site.

Bob and Wendy